Last month we explored the potential positive side of anger. This month we will cover some ways to transform anger so that its silver lining can be leveraged. Transformation rarely happens overnight, nor is it easy. But there are actions you can take to begin the journey that can ultimately help you convert all the energy brings to the table and into meaningful action.
- Douse the fires of negative energy:
- notice the physical signals of your anger
- identify your anger triggers and chip away at them over time to enable you to respond differently
- develop a tactic to stop anger in its tracks in the moment, e.g., deep breathing, agreeing to disagree when it is evident there are irreconcilable differences at play
Take Time to Ponder:
- “Holding on to pain, anger, guilt or shame is the glue that binds us to the situation we want to escape.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- TED Talk: Anger, Compassion, and What It Means To Be Strong by Russell Kolts
- 5 Tips for Recovering from Emotional Pain
- Gratitude Resources – IMG4 and make sure you check out the Gratitude Heals video
- Why Is Gratitude So Difficult, Yet Outrage So Easy?
- “Feeling the Love” (or Anger): How Emotions Can Distort the Way We Respond to Advice
(Personal Insight MD, LLC, PeopleTweaker, and Insight MD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you are feeling extreme anger with thoughts and actions harmful to yourself or others such as physical/verbal abuse or acts of violence, find yourself self-medicating with alcohol, illicit drugs, etc., expressing your anger in such a way that threaten relationships or your job, etc. seek professional help immediately and call 911 if necessary if you find yourself in an out-of-control situation or have the urge to hurt yourself or others.)